Role of a General Manager: General Managers Leading in Pubs & Restaurants
WHAT IS A GENERAL MANAGER?
General Managers in pubs and restaurants know how to build a great team! Are you ready to deliver unforgettable experiences for our customers and bring our brand to life?
Your leadership skills and passion for pouring happiness into our lives will lead our pub and restaurant sales to new heights.
As a brand champion, you'll work with your team to create an experience that delights our customers daily. Make a real impact and be part of our dynamic and dedicated team.
Here’s a guide on the role of a general manager:
ROLE OF A GENERAL MANAGER
You’re the one that keeps everyone else moving in the right direction. Some might even call you the captain.
So what will earn you that reputation? Here are six key responsibilities of what it takes to be a great General Manager:
● Operations - ensuring smooth flow of service from seating to food delivery
● Maintaining health and safety regulations
● Managing staff - training and retaining staff and creating staff schedules
● Customer service - handling complaints and resolving issues, carrying out customer feedback, building relationships
● Managing inventory - ensuring your pub or restaurant has everything needed to put a smile on customers' faces
● Growing pub sales with your team
GENERAL MANAGER - WHO WILL I WORK WITH?
As a General Manager, you will lead and inspire your team to live and breathe our values in everything they do. These values guide us on our journey to become the pride of British hospitality.
You won't be alone when it comes to growing pub and restaurant sales. You’ll brainstorm ideas, share learnings and build a solid plan with your Business Development Manager and Management team to build a thriving pub and restaurant.
At Greene King, we’re all ears and always open to hearing your suggestions for improvement. We want you to put your spin on things and see your ideas brought to life.
You'll build your talented team, making sure they pull out all the stops needed to serve up a top-notch experience for our customers. This team will comprise Bar and Waiting Staff and an Assistant Manager.
WHAT SKILLS YOU BRING AS A GENERAL MANAGER
Great pub experiences don’t just happen. They are created. With these skills in the bag, you’ll have everything you need to run a smooth operation:
● Leadership - leading by example and creating an environment where customers can sit back, relax and be happy. Our motto is pouring happiness into our lives, after all!
● Communication - you’ll be a people person through and through, and understanding your team will come easily to you.
● Customer service - customers are at the heart of Greene King, and customer service is about putting your customers first.
● Organisation - managing a team and pub means you’ll have to have your ducks in a row and know how to stay on top of everything.
● Attention to detail - we have high standards in all our pubs and restaurants at Greene King, and upholding those is all in the details.
READY TO BE A BRAND CHAMPION MANAGER AT GREENE KING?
You’ve learned the craft and risen the ranks. Take this exciting opportunity to build a pub and restaurant in all the ways you’ve imagined over the years.
Being a General Manager is the perfect next step if you are keen to learn and happiest when succeeding at something new. Apply to General Manager jobs with Greene King and check out how to prepare for a general manager interview.
PINT OF PERSPECTIVE BONUS EPISODE 3: Charlotte Charlotte is a member of Greene Sky, the employee led inclusion group (ELIG) focused on amplifying the voices of women in the the Gre
Snippet Title Did you know that menopause affects approximately 51% of the UK population? This means at some point in your career, you, your family members, friends, or work colleagues may be d
Snippet Title At Greene King, you can unlock countless opportunities for career development, growth and learning. And one of our colleagues, Ellie, is a true testament to this. We recently caug
TeaserBar and Waiting
Snippet Title When people think of Bar and Waiting jobs, they think of pouring pints and prepping orders for customers. But Bar and Waiting jobs are so much more than that. In the hustle and bu
Snippet Title Here at Greene King, inclusivity isn’t just a buzzword, it’s more than that. We're working hard to make Everyday Inclusion a reality for all our people, every day. By listening to
With an impressive background in the world of hospitality, Joanne wanted a role which would allow her more freedom; she found herself knocking at the doors of Greene King. Starting as a Gener
PINT OF PERSPECTIVE EPISODE 4: Claire In the latest episode of Pint of Perspective, we talk to the brilliant, inspiring Claire about the effects of menopause on women in the workp
Snippet Title As the holiday season approaches us, we’ve got a lot of exciting job opportunities waiting for you. Seasonal jobs can be a great way to earn extra income whilst enjoying festiviti
PINT OF PERSPECTIVE EPISODE 3: Sherice In this episode, we speak to Sherice. She’s a Brand Lead at Greene King and a member of Unity—an employee led inclusion group or ‘ELIG’ that provides
Snippet Title At Greene King, we are on a journey to create an environment where everyone enjoys and has access to equal opportunities to grow and succeed. Recognising the importance of interna